The Sceptre of Scotland
A little bit of history
The sceptre of Scotland was a gift from Pope Alexander VI to King James IV in 1494, and was remodelled and relengthened in 1536. It was made of silver gilt and topped by a finial with polished rock and a Scottish pearl. The Sceptre includes Christian symbols: stylised dolphons, which are a symbol of the Church – appear on the head of the rod, also images of the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus, Saint James the Great and also St Andrew holding a salrire.